Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Nostalgia Overload

The stock market is extremely chaotic and people can get crazed during the day so being able to tune everything out and get to work is a necessity. I’m fortunate enough to work at a firm where I am allowed to listen to my iPod during work hours (that is if it’s a slow day or if the calendar is free of meetings). Being the dork I am I opt for podcasts over music. The other night while browsing through the extensive library of podcasts on iTunes I can across one I am completely and utterly in love with - Old time radio’s Mystery Theater. As soon as I began listening I had a vision of me and my siblings sitting crossed legged on the floor in a living room dated back to the 40’s or 50’s as we listen to the giant radio that replaces my current day flat screen TV. Mom is in the kitchen in her apron cooking while Dad is smoking his pipe and reading the paper. Ugg – I know all feminists reading this probably want me to take a pen and pop my sugar coated day dream and drag mom out of the kitchen, dress her in a business suit and make Dad cook the dinner while dressed in some kind of s&m getup. But whatever you’re thinking – these podcasts are fun and bring back a time of entertainment long forgotten.

But I didn’t stop there. Oh no. I began thinking about what I used to watch as a child. Remember Fraggle Rock? Jem and the Holograms? The Ghost of Faffner Hall? My God, it was like Christmas for me! Oh the nostalgia.




No comments: