Monday, June 23, 2008

Musical Muses - New York City Ballet

So after a few months of teenybopper movies and E shows like Living Lohan my husband decided we needed some culture brought back into our lives. This weekend we attended the New York City Ballet to see Musical Muses. The NYC Ballet is known for its casual look intertwined with elegant structure mixed with a hint of playfulness. The performance was just breathtaking! A former dancer (who wishes she could still move like that) I was like a kid in a candy shop. For the first ten minutes I kept whispering to my husband, “Look at that arabesque” or “She nailed that pirouette.” I was promptly hushed. Now after disrupting the 70 and 80 year olds surrounding us I sat politely and took in the art. Musical Muses is a combination of four classic works of ballet; George Balanchine’s Mozartiana, Maurice Ravel’s Le Tombeau de Couperin, Igor Stravinsky’s Divertimento from “Le Baiser de la Fée”, and Vincenzo Bellini’s La Sonnambula. Each piece so different from the next, the evening provided the prefect mixture overall of movement and beauty. This was my daily dose of sophistication!


No comments: